Did You Know Lilies Are Toxic to Your Cat?

CatLily

Unfortunately, not everyone is aware of how a beautiful lily can be deadly toxic to a cat. Since we don’t see a similar sensitivity in other species, the news has not be widely distributed to pet lovers. So, please be aware that any part of a lily, if ingested, can cause rapid kidney failure in cats unless medical intervention occurs within 24 hours.

Symptoms of lily ingestion are vomiting, salivation, anorexia, and depression. The initial symptoms of vomiting and drooling can go away in 4 to 6 hours, leading owners and veterinarians to believe that the cat only has a mild stomach upset or hairball. Meanwhile, the kidneys are failing and dehydration develops. If intravenous fluids are started within 24 hours after ingestion, the kidney failure can be reversed and cats have a good prognosis. Without medical intervention, the kidneys totally close down and the only possible means of treatment would be through peritoneal dialysis or hemodialysis with a guarded outcome. So pass the word around to your cat lover friends—no lilies.

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.